2nd June 2020
We are delighted that restrictions have eased to allow us to make a cautious return to tournament polo later this month.
Our overriding commitment will continue to be to protect the health and saftey of our members and all those connected with the Club.
Whilst there remains significant uncertainty, we are keen to support our playing members by offering a 50% discount across most memberships for the 2020 season. We are also offering a new individual chukka membership.
The revised fixtures list will be published on our website shortly and we also hope to commence training chukkas later this week.
If you are interested in becoming a playing member please contact teh polo office via email on: firstname.lastname@example.org
13th May 2020
Please click here to view the latest guidance from the HPA
20th April 2020
Following the Government’s update at the end of last week, Polo Manager, Chris Bethell, is working on a revised tournament schedule based on a resumption of polo in early June, with the King Power Gold Cup tournament starting on the 23rd June as planned. Whilst this remains our aspiration, we will ultimately be directed by evolving Government advice and as such we will re-appraise and re-schedule as required. The HPA have issued a revised official HPA tournament fixtures list which can be viewed here.
Our grounds are undergoing a general maintenance schedule with view to bringing them up to match standard as swiftly as possible. We were pleased to see the rain over the weekend; despite the relentless wet weather over the winter, our thirsty lawns were very glad of a drink.
As always, the safety and well-being of our attendees, players, staff and ponies is fundamental in any decisions we make at Cowdray regarding the recommencement of polo and we will adhere rigorously with the regulations set out by the Government and provide updates accordingly.
The Polo Office remains closed, however please contact us by email if you have any questions and we will do our utmost to help you.
3rd April 2020
Following the HPA’s most recent statement (dated 2.4.2020) regarding COVID-19 and the implications for polo clubs and their members, we would like to provide an update on our current position. The HPA’s statement can be viewed here.
As of yesterday (2.4.2020), the HPA have advised that the earliest tournament polo can start will now be mid-May, rather than 1st May as previously hoped. Consequently, we will be reviewing our current Fixtures List and we will revise as appropriate. As stated on 20th March, we will still need to respond to restrictions on spectators and supporters. We remain fully committed to working within all guidance so that the season can commence, whilst protecting the health and well-being of all participants, visitors and the CPPC team. For the time-being, most polo ponies continue with their pre-season fitness and the grounds are being prepared for when the season starts.
As for all sporting industries, the situation remains uncertain and although we are hoping to start in mid-May, the HPA’s plan is to review the situation after Easter, once the government has set out its conditions. As such, we anticipate being able to provide another CPPC update after Easter following this review.
Once again, we extend our thanks to our members, visitors and stake holders for their support and patience during this time.
26th March 2020
The HPA have issued a ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ sheet providing guidelines for players and yard managers. Click here to view.
20th March 2020
Following the HPA’s statement regarding COVID-19 issued on 19th March 2020, we want to inform you of the current position and our intentions at Cowdray Park Polo Club. The HPA’s statement can be viewed here.
The HPA’s position is that all polo clubs have been asked to postpone or cancel tournaments until 1st May. Whilst the position is fluid and we will respond to Government advice and subsequent HPA guidance, we are keen to reiterate that CPPC is committed to delivering a full season from this date. The position mirrors other equine sports such as racing and eventing.
The delayed start will have obvious implications on the fixtures and we will need to respond to restrictions on spectators and supporters. However, we are committed to working within all guidance so that the season can continue.
The health and wellbeing of all participants, visitors and our team is paramount. We will not put this at risk. However, we acknowledge the importance of the sport to the polo community and therefore we want to give reassurance that whilst not compromising safety, we hope to find a way to start the season.
We thank our members, players, sponsors and visitors for their support and patience at this time and we look forward to opening the season at Cowdray Park Polo Club very soon.
The Cowdray Park Polo Club Team